domingo, 6 de mayo de 2018

JÚLIA'S LANGUAGE LEARNING EXPERIENCES


LANGUAGE BIOGRAPHY

MY LANGUAGE LEARNING AIMS 


Bearing in mind that I want to be an English teacher, I believe that my language learning aims are quite clear. In my opinion, it is essential to be proficient in any language if you are willing to teach it and that is my main aim when it comes to English.
I have to admit that when I started the degree on English Studies my main objective was only being able to communicate effectively in this language but, as time went by, I ended up deciding that I wanted to teach and thus, my language learning aims became broader.

MY LANGUAGE LEARNING HISTORY 

I started learning English when I was 4 more or less. My first contact with it in academic terms was at school. I remember staying there some afternoons because there were extracurricular English lessons held.

When I was in Primary, apart from being in contact with English at school, my parents decided to took me to extracurricular English lessons because they thought it would report me many benefits in the long run. I combined the English lessons in school and high school with extracurricular English lessons. In this respect, I had various extracurricular teachers who were native English speakers until I started attending the “Escuela Oficial de Idiomas” (EOI) in Gandia at the age of 16-17. I quit EOI and the extracurricular English lessons when I started my degree in English Studies. However, I continued preparing for the certificate exams and during those four years I got my B2 and C1 levels in English in the “Escuela Oficial de Idiomas”.

Although English has always been my main linguistic target, I have studied other languages. I am a native Valencian speaker and this language has been present during all my years of schooling. Moreover, I have recently got my C2 certificate by the “Junta Qualificadora de Coneixements de Valencià” and the “Capacitació en valencià”.
When I was in high school, I studied French for two years (3rd and 4th of ESO) and I did on year of Germany at university.

 MY MOST SIGNIFICANT LINGUISTIC AND INTERCULTURAL EXPERIENCES 

I must admit that intercultural experiences are the ones that have had the greatest impact on my linguistic interests. Actually, my first contact with English was through the music of groups such as The Beatles which I listened to thanks to my father, who used to play their songs for me.

As I have said, I had the opportunity to attend extracurricular English lessons with English native speakers and thanks to that, I got to spend 3 weeks in Belfast in the summer of 2011. I stayed in a school where I had the opportunity to make friends with people from other countries, attend English lessons every day and use my English on a regular basis, something that helped me improve it considerably.

After this experience, I decided that every summer I would enrol in programmes similar to this one in order to improve my command of the language. Therefore, I have been twice to an intensive one-week English course called “Pueblo Inglés”. These courses are held in summer in Spain and they consist on spending a week with native English speakers from different parts of the world in order to carry out English lessons and different activities with the purpose of improving mainly oral skills in English. I have also been to other summer intensive English courses. Concretely, last summer I went to one offered by the Universidad Internacional Menéndez Pelayo (UIMP) where I spend one week attending English lessons carried out by native speakers which were mainly focused on improving oral skills.

Apart from these type of courses, I have had the opportunity to be in contact with the language in a less formal context. Actually, I have a friend from the United States to whom I speak regularly. I have visited her in her hometown (Media, Philadelphia) and she has been twice in Spain, spending some days in my house during summer. This friendship has given me the opportunity not only to improve my English but also to be in contact with another culture and to learn from it.

However, if there is an intercultural experience which has contributed to the improvement of my English that is my Erasmus, which I spent in Cardiff in the year 2015-2016. I had the chance to be in contact with the language in a real context during nine months which were really useful to improve my English considerably. Also, I could learn not only about the Welsh and English culture but also about others such as the French one since I shared flat with French and English people.

MY CURRENT LANGUAGE LEARNING PRIORITIES 

In general terms, I consider that I have a good command of the language when it comes to writing skills. Thus, my priorities are mainly focused on English at an oral level. My main aim is to manage with everyday English in the most natural way possible and that implies being able to use colloquial language and expressions without any difficulty or effort. Also, I would like to broaden my vocabulary and apply it not only to the oral skills but also to the written ones.































DOSSIER 

In this section, you would find all the certificates that prove a certain level in the different languages I have mentioned. 

LANGUAGE PASSPORT
















No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario